Sunday, August 14, 2011

How Are Fake Diamonds Made?

Fake Diamonds


Diamond particles are embedded in the teeth of this saw. Credit: Dreamstime


Diamonds are one of the world's most valuable commodities, the planet's hardest substance and perhaps the most symbolic expression of love and commitment found in nature. Except when they aren't.

While real diamonds form deep within the earth during geological processes spanning billions of years, so-called fake, or manmade, diamonds can be whipped up in a laboratory in no time at all, yet they look and act remarkably similar.



The secret to producing fake diamonds was unlocked in the 1950s by four scientists working for the Research Laboratory at General Electric. The scientists - Robert Wentorf, Tracy Hall, Francis Bundy and Herbert Strong - knew that natural diamonds result when carbon is exposed to high pressures and temperatures. They guessed that another strong carbon called graphite was likely the key to reproducing a synthetic version of the gem.

Working with a device called a belt press, which first weakened a cylinder of graphite contained within it and then heated and squeezed the graphite at immense pressures, the researchers were able to pop out the world's first fake diamond at the GE lab in December 1954.

The fake gems they produced didn't end up on the fingers of unsuspecting women, however (that's cubic zirconia, a different substance altogether).

Today, more than 100 tons of synthetic diamonds are produced annually and used almost solely in industry. As the hardest substance available to man, diamond tools are handy for cutting and polishing other hard stuff such as ceramic and stone, and the incredible longevity of the material outweighs its high cost.

Wentorf, Hall, Bundy and Strong were recently inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame for their contributions to the development of fake diamonds.

31 comments:

  1. Excellent blog! I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the facts are well written. I have subscribed myself for latest blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see a talnet at work. I can't match that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Help, I've been informed and I can't become ignraont.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing superb informations. Your web-site is very cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this website. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found just the info I already searched everywhere and simply could not come across. What an ideal web site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will Dan Rizzo be indicted for campaign violations before the election?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanna comment that you have a very decent website , I love the style and design it actually stands out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting subject , thankyou for putting up. "I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure-that is all that agnosticism means." by Clarence Darrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent site. Plenty of helpful information here. I'm sending it to some pals ans additionally sharing in delicious. And of course, thanks on your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have noted very interesting points! ps decent website.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep up the excellent piece of work, I read few blog posts on this website and I believe that your site is real interesting and contains circles of fantastic info .

    ReplyDelete
  11. I conceive you have remarked some very interesting points , thankyou for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed looking at this How Are Fake Diamonds Made? | Information Blog very good stuff, thanks .

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been browsing on-line more than three hours nowadays, yet I never found any fascinating article like yours. It is lovely price enough for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made just right content as you probably did, the internet can be much more useful than ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simply want to say your article is as surprising. The clarity for your post is simply cool and that i can think you are knowledgeable on this subject. Fine together with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to stay up to date with impending post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please carry on the rewarding work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am not very good with English but I line up this rattling easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting details you have observed , appreciate it for posting . "Women have been trained to speak softly and carry a lipstick. Those days are over." by Bella Abzug.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing a little research on that. And he just bought me lunch as I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch! "We strain to renew our capacity for wonder, to shock ourselves into astonishment once again." by Shana Alexander.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like your writing style, wonderful information, thanks for putting up :D. "In every affair consider what precedes and what follows, and then undertake it." by Epictetus.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Real nice style and excellent subject matter, practically nothing else we need : D.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am not real excellent with English but I get hold this real easygoing to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Spot on with this write-up, I truly feel this website wants much more consideration. I’ll apt to be once more you just read additional, thanks for that info.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very interesting details you have observed, appreciate it for putting up.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good site! I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the data are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified when a new post has been made. I've subscribed to your RSS feed which must do the trick! Have a great day! "Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself." by Lois McMaster Bujold.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very interesting info !Perfect just what I was looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This specific website includes too much specifics and a few wonderful posts as well. It truly is exciting to get a service that may draw in a great number of customers. Carry on the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have an awesome blog. Bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Some genuinely nice and useful info on this site, too I conceive the design and style holds superb features.

    ReplyDelete
  28. nice one for the amazing content on your website, I am very interested in this post and you have really helped me. I have just told a few of my friends about this on FaceBook and they love your content just as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I comedianreally enjoy studying debt reliefon this website , it has got great articles .

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sorry for a outrageous review, though I'm unequivocally amatory a latest Zune, as good as goal this, as good as a glorious reviews a little alternative people have written, will assistance we confirm if it's a right preference for you.

    ReplyDelete